Fri May 9, 2014
Canalside prepares for summer concerts
Concert goers will have the chance to view a wide variety of musical acts this summer at Downtown Buffalo's Canalside.
Local band The Albrights provided a rocking musical background as officials announced the summer schedule featuring 30 concerts.
Though crowds were large last year, Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation President Tom Dee expects larger crowds this year.
"If people come from the suburbs that haven't been here before, as soon as they come here, they say something like: I can't believe this is so much fun, I didn't know this was here and then they talk to ten of their friends and they all come back," Dee said.
"Buffalo is a safe place. This is a safe environment. People go where people are and so we bring people here and it becomes a safe environment. It's well lit. It's well policed. It's well trafficked."
There will be ten free concerts on Thursdays and, four ticketed concerts.
The music array ranges from battles of the band to pick opening acts for big-name performers.
The free concerts range from reggae artist Shaggy to the Buffalo Philharmonic featuring the music of Earth, Wind and Fire music.
The four ticketed events are Tedeschi Trucks Band, George Thorogood and the Destroyers, Girl Talk and a band to be named later.
Here is the Canalside 2014 full schedule:
Free Thursday lineup – concerts start at 6 p.m.
- 06/12: Dj Milk, Soul Rebels, Shaggy
- 06/19: Conehead Buddha, moe.
- 06/26: July Talk , Sam Roberts Band
- 07/03: Boy & Bear , Hey Rosetta!, Gord Downie & The Sadies
- 07/10: Fitz and the Tantrums
- 07/17: The Oh Hellos , Lake Street Dive
- 07/24: Extreme
- 07/31: Sheila E
- 08/07: BPO Rock Show: Earth, Wind & Fire + Michael Jackson
- 08/14: TBD
Ticketed – concerts start at 7 p.m.
- 06/21: Tedeschi Trucks Band
- 06/28: George Thorogood & The Destroyers
- 08/08: Girl Talk
Here are the dates future fabulous dancers need to punch into their cell phones
Music & Dance
8 Wednesdays: 7/9/14-8/27/14
- 7/9: Swing
- 7/16: Tango
- 7/23: Ballroom
- 7/30: Salsa
- 8/6: Swing
- 8/13: Tango
- 8/20: Ballroom
- 8/27: Salsa
The Sunday night’s Battle of the Bands will work blues, alternative, lady lead bands and other categories of local bands will face off with the winner getting a chance to open for one of the big national bands. This is how the battle will break out:
Local Favorites “Battle of the Bands”
5 Sundays: 6/8/14- 7/13/14
- June 8: Blues - opens for TTB on 6/21
- July 6: Americana - opens for Lake Street Dive on 7/17.
- July 13: Jazz/R&B - opens for Sheila E on 7/31.
- July 20: Alternative - opens for Fitz & The Tantrums on 7/10.
- July 27: Lady Leads – opens for TBD on 8/14