Cause of illness at Lewiston Post Office identified

Oct 14, 2016

Lewiston Police say they have identified the cause of seven people falling ill at the town Post Office Wednesday.

Credit Google Maps

Police say hazardous materials teams investigated the mail and the building, determining the irritant was a non-toxic aerosol spray released into the air, as confirmed with its manufacturer through chemical analysis.

The Lewiston Post Office was evacuated shortly before 8 a.m. Wednesday after people in a back room complained of a noxious odor, a burning sensation in their throat and choking.

Police say those who fell ill were treated and quarantined at Mount St. Mary's Hospital. All have since been released.

Postal inspectors are still investigating where the spray came from, but they do not consider it a criminal case and there is no current threat to the surrounding neighborhood.