Wed January 2, 2013
Fire at Depew Boys and Girls Club called "devastating"
A New Year's Day fire has forced the temporary relocation of the Boys and Girls Club of Depew.
Flames ripped through the building on Preston Street around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. The blaze started on the first floor and spread into the attic. No official cause has been determined, but fire investigators say they are looking at the possibility the fire was electrical.
The building was closed for the holiday, but program director Jeff Kupka says the damage, estimated at $600,000, was extensive.
"We're looking for our building inspectors to go in and tell me what is salvageable and what is not. I'm hoping that one part of the building is okay and maybe we can build off with our insurance money and donations and the community's help," Kupka told WBFO.
Kupka says the club's gym floor had just been resurfaced, with work concluding on Sunday. The club planned on reopening Wednesday.
An donation account has been set up at KeyBank. Contributions can be made at any branch.
The Depew Club serves about 200 children a year. They were relocated to the Lancaster Club Wednesday.