Music Notes: Holiday Concert Preview
Hallelujah! It's time for a seasonal sing-along.
The next couple weeks are busy at Symphony Circle. On Friday (12/5) and Saturday (12/6) at 8?p.m., the B-P-0 performs Schubert's Great C?Major Symphony with guest conductor Arthur Fagan, plus French Hornist William VerMeulen will be featured in Richard Strauss's First Concerto.
Then on Sunday (12/7) at 2:30?p.m., Assistant Conductor Ron Spigelman conducts portions of Handel's Messiah with the BPO Chorus. Spigelman says you're invited to sing this year, but you might want to stop at the downtown library or a music store to pick up a score first.
Then on Saturday, December 13th at 2:30?p.m., Spigelman will conduct the opera Hansel and Gretel by Engelbert Humperdinck (the German composer, not the English rock star). This adaptation is perfect for kids with the words in English and plenty to see.
Many other concerts will also feature holiday music:
- The Western New York Chamber Orchestra teams up with string players from Jamestown and Southwestern public schools Wednesday (12/3) at 7:30?p.m. in the Reg Lenna Civic Center.
- The Orchard Park Symphony and Orchard Park Chorale present a holiday concert Friday (12/5) at 7:30?p.m. in the Orchard Park Middle School, including PDQ Bach's Fanfare for the Common Cold.
- The Amherst Chamber Ensembles feature instrumental sounds of the season Saturday (12/6) at 7:30?p.m. at Christ United Methodist Church, at the corner of Harlem and Saratoga Roads in Amherst.
- The Canisius College Chorale sings Saturday (12/6) at 7:30?p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center of Canisius College.
- The Choir of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Buffalo will sing Lux Aeterna (Eternal Light) by Morten Lauridsen on Sunday (12/7) as part of the 11?a.m. service. Barbara Wagner leads 70 voices.
- The American Legion Band of the Tonawandas Sunday (12/7) at 7:30?p.m. in North Tonawanda's Riviera Theatre.
And some non-holiday offerings:
- The Baird Trio is in recital with Soprano Tony Arnold Tuesday (12/2) at 8?p.m. in UB's Slee Hall.
- A number of student ensembles will give free concerts in Slee this week. View the complete schedule on the Slee Hall web site.
- And the interim organist-choirmaster of Saint Paul's Cathedral, Gerald Wheeler, gives a free half-hour recital Friday (12/5) at 12:30?p.m. in the Cathedral.