Education
2:36 pm
Mon February 11, 2013

Niagara Falls school evacuated following chlorine gas leak

A Niagara Falls school was evacuated this morning after a chlorine gas leak gave off possible noxious fumes in the school's swimming pool area.

Officials say students and staff at the Gaskill Preparatory School at 910 Hyde Park Boulevard were evacuated to the Hyde Park Elementary School.

Credit nfschools.net

Two employees apparently mixed the wrong chemicals together in a 55 gallon drum, causing the mishap. The two were taken to the Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center for evaluation.

The Niagara Falls Air Force Base HazMat unit came in to help the city fire department evacuate and ventilate the building and remove the improperly mixed chemicals.

Students will remain at the Hyde Park school for the rest of the day.