Reorganization decision approaching for Ken-Ton District
It looks like the Ken-Ton school board will vote on Tuesday on a reorganization plan which will close some schools in the district.
The years of discussion about what to do to deal with the declining enrollment, shrinking tax base, shrinking reserves and declining state aid have evolved into a 183-page report released last week.
School Superintendent Mark Mondanaro and School Board President Bob Dana were part of the crowd Thursday night in Herbert Hoover school talking about the plan and all of the scenarios, with all supposed to save millions of dollars.
The retiring superintendent walked the crowd through the plans, all of which include closing Kenmore Middle School, accompanied by a variety of other possibilities.
In response to a speaker who asked why not wait until later this year when there will be some new board members and a new superintendent, Dana told the audience the current board knows the situation best.
"You've got a five-member board, four of which that have spent the entire two years engulfed in this process," Dana responded.
"With it every step of the way and (the board has been) dealing with it and dealing with the stress, anxiety and along with the community and analyzing everything."
Dana says the decision will be made Tuesday. There weren't many objections from the audience last night, many of whom had the long report and scenarios in hand.
The district has a long history of closing buildings and selling them off as student enrollment dropped over the years.