Legal
3:25 pm
Thu April 10, 2014

Settlement reached in Wilson house explosion

A settlement has reportedly been reached between NOCO Energy Corp. and the Johnson family, whose home in the Town of Wilson was destroyed by a fatal propane explosion in July of 2012.

A daughter of Jody Johnson, 14-year-old Sarah Johnson, died in the explosion. Another daughter, Katie, suffered severe burns.

The house explosion in July 2012 caused the death of 14-year-old Sarah Johnson.
Credit File photo

At issue was the replacement of a propane tank provided by NOCO. After the family complained of a gas smell in the Chestnut Road home, Jody Johnson bought a replacement tank and allegedly connected it himself, after NOCO refused to send a repairman to the house. The explosion occurred early the next morning, after accumulated propane ignited in the basement.

The Buffalo News reports that terms of the settlement have not been made public. It is not known if the blame lies with NOCO for failing to send a repairman, or with Johnson for improper installation of a propane tank.