Violent weekend bar attack might have involved police

May 16, 2014

The bar Molly's Pub at 3199 Main Street in Buffalo is being shut down following a violent assault last weekend that left a man in critical condition.

Buffalo Police say it is believed the 28-year-old man, since identified as William Sager, Jr. of Silver Creek, was beaten and pushed down a flight of stairs early Sunday morning, leaving him with a "devastating" head injury. Sager, a member of the New York Air National Guard, remains critical at Erie County Medical Center as of Friday afternoon.

Molly's Pub is shut down after a man was severely injured in an attack last weekend.
Credit Photo by Edmund Barker

Chief of Detectives Dennis Richards says departmental personnel were at the scene at the time.  

"There were two off-duty Buffalo police officers present at the time of the incident, reported around 2 a.m. Sunday. Those two Buffalo police officers have been placed on administrative leave," Richards told reporters at City Hall.

No arrests have been made but evidence is indicating a possible role in the altercation by the off-duty officers,  Robert Eloff and Adam O'Shei. A 911 call for help by Sager mentioned the officers and the bar manager as aggressors. On-duty police responded and found Sager, bleeding and unconscious, lying on the sidewalk and restrained with Eloff's handcuffs.

Richards is promising a thorough, intensive investigation is taking place. He is asking anyone who may have video or photographic evidence from the scene to contact Buffalo Police. A security surveillance tape from that night was discovered in the trash, apparently disposed of by the bar manager. That tape is being studied.

"We've had many cases which are solved by video evidence, whether it be the city cameras or cameras at the premises or cell phone cameras," Richards said.

Richards said the University Heights bar near the UB South Campus was being shut down according to city code, but would not elaborate.

Sager, a crew chief at the Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station, remains at ECMC where doctor's are doubting a full recovery from his brain injuries.