A 14-year-old boy from Buffalo pleaded innocent Monday afternoon to an indictment charging he shot and killed a 16-year-old boy during a mass scuffle earlier this month on Northland Avenue.
Myles Taylor III faces trial as an adult on charges of second-degree murder and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon in the death of Kelmyne Jones on July 6.
Taylor's defense attorney John Molloy says one of the early defense motions in the case will challenge Taylor being tried as an adult. Erie County Judge Michael D'Amico has set September 17 for arguing those motions and has set November 18 for a trial.
Molloy says his client is a youth facing the system.
"He's mystified. He's confused. He's 14, an eighth-grader," Molloy says.
Taylor in the Erie County Holding Center being held without bail. If convicted of adult crimes, he faces a maximum sentence of 15 years-to-life in prison.