21-year-old man charged in murder of 13-year-old Buffalo girl

Sep 6, 2013

Buffalo Police have announced an arrest in the murder of a 13-year-old girl. The body of Lanasha Rollerson was found in the 100 block of Newburgh Avenue Tuesday night. Darshawn Morris, 21, of Hagen Street was arrested at 11 p.m. Wednesday.

Buffalo Police commissioner Daniel Derenda announcing arrest.
Credit WBFO News photos by Eileen Buckley

21-year-old Darshawn Morris of Hagen Street
Credit WBFO News photos

Buffalo Police Commissioner Daniel Derenda met with reporters Thursday morning at Buffalo Police headquarters. 

Derenda said tips came in "fast and furious" and investigators worked 24 hours straight to make an arrest.

"We know she was at a party at the house. The party broke up at about 2 o'clock. He lived in the upper of 160 Hagen Street where the party occurred," said Derenda.

Rollerson was reported missing Sunday by her family. She died of multiple stab wounds.

"In 24 hours after finding the body the day before, we had an arrest," said Dereneda. "We have to thank the public for all their cooperation."

It's believed the teen was murdered between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. Sunday.

Mayor Brown appearing with police officials to announce arrest.
Credit WBFO News photos by Eileen Buckley

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said it is a "tragic incident."  The mayor met with several family members Tuesday.  Brown says the murder  has "shaken" the family and community. 

"Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with Lanasha's family. "We feel very deeply for their loss," said Mayor Brown.

It is not clear if Rollerson knew Morris, and asked if the young teen was sexually assaulted, commissioner Derenda told reporters they were waiting for lab results.

Morris attempted to cover up the murder by hiding the body and trying to conceal evidence.   

Mayor Brown said it appears the parents were not aware their daughter left their home to attend the party.

"Lanasha left home voluntarily. Her parents were not aware of it and the result of it was tragic," said Mayor Brown.

Morris was arraigned and is being held on $1-million bail. He is due back in court for a felony hearing Tuesday. 

The mayor says the message in this situation is to "hold our children tighter" and be aware of where they are at "all times".