Ambiguity clouds the future of the NWHL, Buffalo Beauts

May 8, 2019

More than 200 women last week said they would boycott the upcoming NWHL season for multiple reasons including a lack of resources. Now, Pegula Sports and Entertainment says it will no longer operate the Buffalo Beauts moving forward. WBFO's Nick Lippa spoke to NWHL and Victory Press writer Melissa Burgess about what's next for the league.

Credit NWHL

Hundreds of women hockey players are boycotting the upcoming season due to reasons like low wages and paying for their own health insurance. Now one of their biggest backers, Pegula Sports and Entertainment, is severing ties. PSE released a statment thanking the NWHL and added they "will continue to look for ways to successfully grow the women's game." The Beauts will now have to renegotiate facility fees if the league intends for the Beauts to continue playing at the Harbor Center, which is owned by the Pegulas.

You can read Melissa's work at victorypress.org/author/melissa-burgess/