Buffalo denied federal funding for Main Street vehicular sharing project

Nov 24, 2019

The City of Buffalo did not receive a $25 million federal grant that was targeted for advancing the Cars Sharing Main Street project.

Work in 2018 on returning vehicular traffic to Main Street near KeyBank Center
Credit WBFO File Photo

The BUILD grant program had already provided more than $30 million toward returning cars to Main Street, but the city was left out of this latest round of funding.

Rep. Brian Higgins, D-Buffalo, says it's a setback, but he remains confident new funding will be found.

"We will encourage the city to re-apply," Higgins said. "The State of New York also receives $1.3 billion a year from the federal government. Our hope is we can find an alternative funding source. I'm confident we will."

The next phase of the project stretches from Church to Exchange Streets, and that work is yet to get underway.

According to Buffalo Place, more than $95 million in construction remains to return vehicular traffic to all of Main Street. 

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, has vowed to assist the city in finding funding sources.