Buffalo protester Gugino released from ECMC nearly one month after being pushed by police

Jun 30, 2020

The attorney for Buffalo activist Martin Gugino says her client, who was seriously injured during an encounter with Buffalo police in a Niagara Square protest on June 4, has been released from the hospital.

Gugino's push by a Buffalo police officer and the subsequent fall backward on to the sidewalk outside City Hall was captured on video by WBFO and seen tens of millions of times. Two officers have been charged with assault in the matter.

Buffalo police officers push 75-year-old protester Martin Gugino June 4 outside City Hall in a viral video captured by WBFO.
Credit WBFO file photo

Attorney Kelly Zarcone, who represents Gugino, said his recovery continues in an undisclosed location to ensure his privacy. She also thanked Erie County Medical Center staff for their care on behalf of Gugino.

She wrote, "I was able to see Martin today and he looks great. He can walk with a little help and his condition will continue to improve with rest and time. I brought him the cards and letters sent to my office and he said he still felt overjoyed at the continued support and well wishes, ‘like it was Christmas Day.’

"Martin said that he is pleased at the progress made so far to protect the safety of peaceful protesters, a topic near and dear to his heart.  He respects the burden of authority placed upon law enforcement but looks forward to the continued implementation of systemic changes to eliminate police brutality."

Gugino, 75, suffered a fractured skull in his fall.