Carbon monoxide at banquet hall sickens three dozen people

Cheektowaga, NY – Nearly three dozen people fell ill from carbon monoxide poisoning at a Cheektowaga banquet hall Saturday night.

The Masonic Community Center on Union ROad was hosting a fund-raising dinner to benefit the Gliding Stars. Organizer Tracy Schosek says more than 150 people were attending fundraiser.

"The carbon monoxide detector went off," Schosek said. "One person became nauseous. So, I made the call to clear the hall."

Fire officials say at least 35 people were evaluated by rescue crews. They say most started feeling better once they went outside for fresh air.

One youth was taken to Women and Children's Hospital for treatment.

The building was ventilated. It's believed a faulty burner on a stove was responsible.