In recent years, food waste has become an increasingly serious problem for which we need to work as individuals, a society, and an international community to find solutions.
To learn more about some of the things that are being done -- and how you can help -- we encourage our fans to listen to Just Eat It: Why Food Waste Matters, a special food waste show produced by our partners at The Water Main, a water-focused content and awareness initiative at America Public Media.
Below you'll also find interviews and stories featured on The Splendid Table that deal with food waste, how to know when food has "gone bad," and so-called trash cooking.
- Second life for faded food: reducing food waste with chef Abra Berens
- Yogurt maker Homa Dashtaki shows dedication and respect for whey
- France has a complex relationship with le doggie bag
- Going green with reusable wraps, storage bags and other kitchen tools
- Waste not, want not: cooking with scraps, wilts and weeds
- Four ways to cook your decorative pumpkin
- Dumpster-diving freegans are a response to food waste
- Take stalk of food wate: you can cook with steams and leaves, too
- How do you like them apple cores? Cooking with food 'waste'
- 'The garbage can doesn't lie': The U.S. throws away 30% of its food
We'd love to hear about your tips and techniques for eliminating food waste and reusing kitchen equipment. Share your thoughts with us by visiting The Splendid Table on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or emailing us.