Investigators say electrical malfunction likely sparked blaze at Sanborn landmark

Oct 1, 2014

Investigators in Niagara County say an electrical malfunction was the probable cause of an early morning blaze at the Marlboro Inn in Sanborn.

The fire was discovered by two New York State Troopers on patrol around 12:30 a.m. when they noticed smoke in the area.  Trooper Keith Lucas said initially they thought it might be fog, but then realized it was smoke coming from the basement.  Lucas and his partner, Trooper Mike Catanzaro, called for fire crews, who arrived to find a blaze in the basement. 

In all, 10 fire companies battled the  blaze.  Lucas said there is "major damage" to the building's structure, especially the basement, as well as significant smoke and water damage. 

Fortunately, the Inn was closed at the time.  No injuries have been reported.

Exchange Hotel/Marlboro Inn, Sanborn, NY
Credit Photo courtesy of the Sanborn Area Historical Society, Inc.

The building is said to date back to the 1800's.  Lucas said he believes it was a hotel in the 1930's where passengers from an adjacent train depot would stop and stay.

The building has reportedly fallen victim to fires twice before, in 1903 and 1964.