Mighty Taco has issued an update on what is suspected to be a bad batch of refried beans that sickened 140 people between September 30 and October 6.
In a statement on their website, Mighty Taco says this was an isolated and unprecedented situation that the company has not encountered in its 43-year history serving Western New York. It noted that Erie County Health Department Senior Public Health Sanitarian Jeffrey Jurewicz statement earlier this week that “Mighty Taco’s food safety inspection record with our Department, across all their locations in Erie County, has been exceptional.”
Samples of the suspect beans were sent to the New York State Department of Health’s lab in Albany for testing on October 7 and results are still pending.
The company says Mighty Taco outsources the production of its refried beans to Pellegrino Food Products in Pennsylvania - which makes the beans exclusively for Mighty Taco. Pellegrino also was inspected in response to the reports of illness and results are pending from that.
Mighty Taco says it is taking the situation very seriously and remain committed to providing the best quality products to its thousands of customers served daily at its 24 Western New York locations. The Health Department said earlier this week that no additional illnesses have been reported since October 6, when the beans were removed from all local Mighty Taco locations.