Another strategy has been announced in the fight against guns and gangs in Toronto. This time it is coming from Doug Ford, the premier of the province of Ontario.
It was Doug Ford’s turn to take the podium with Toronto Mayor John Tory, as another weapon was unveiled in the bid to stop the gun violence in the city. Last week, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the federal government in Ottawa would pony up. Now it was Ford’s turn.
“Our government will be investing $3 million over three years to double the number of CCTV cameras operated by the Toronto police,” Ford said.
The city will get $2 million this year and $500,000 in each of the next two years.
Ford said the money is in addition to the $1.5 million announced last week and the $25 million the province will spend over four years to tackle guns and gangs.
Ford also said Ontario has launched a province-wide strategy to dismantle gangs.
"My messge to these violent criminals, to the people terrorizing innocent families is this: We are coming for you, we will catch you and we will bring you to justice,” he said.
Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said the extra surveillance cameras will make a difference, but it is just one of the tools that the police service will use.
Some officials said the increased gun violence in Toronto this summer is a result of turf wars among street gangs. The announcement comes as police are investigating two shootings Sunday, which left one man dead and two others injured.
The first happened in the morning, just after 5 a.m. -- a 46-year-old local man was killed and police have yet to identify any suspects. The second happened in the middle of the afternoon -- two men were shot in the leg and are expected to survive.
Police haven't said whether the cases are related.