There was sharp criticism from Ontario Premier Doug Ford of the United States' handling of the coronavirus pandemic, with Ford describing some states' quick reopening as "reckless."
According to statistics provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the United States recorded more than 40,000 new cases of COVID-19 just before the weekend. Florida alone accounted for nearly 9,000 cases, sparking a reversal of some reopening measures.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford said his province has taken a very cautious approach to reopening. Ford referred to one day last week, when the United States posted 36,000 new cases. He said, by comparison, all of Canada had only 300 cases.
“Even if we multiplied that 300 by 10, that’s only 3,000 versus 36,000," Ford said. "So I guess what I’m saying is, that’s the comparison...being cautious.....versus reckless approach, in my opinion, south of the border, where everyone just goes hog wild and don’t worry about anything. Well, that’s come back to bite ‘em."
The U.S. numbers also prompted Ford to reinforce his support for keeping the U.S.-Canada border closed beyond July 21. Ford said that date is far too early, adding he does not believe Canada is ready to welcome people from south of the border.