Darcy Regier will be back as general manager of the Buffalo Sabres next season, despite the team missing the postseason in four of the last six years. A decision on who will coach the team, however, has not been made.
Ron Rolston took over behind the bench mid-season when longtime coach Lindy Ruff was fired. Whether or not he'll be back is one of the team's key questions heading into the offseason.
The Sabres finished in a disappointing 12th place in the Eastern Conference in the lockout-shortened season. Regier says owner Terry Pegula's ultimate goal remains the same, even as the organization acknowledges the team is in "rebuilding mode."
"He is in search of creating a Stanley Cup championship. That has not changed. In fact, it's been reinforced. It's stronger than ever. It may require some suffering," Regier said Monday at the team's annual end-of-year press conference.
Sabres President Ted Black says he understands the frustrations of fans.
"This fan base has been through a lot, short and long term. This is a tremendous fan base. They deserve a lot better than what they got this year. They certainly don't sign up for lockouts and not having hockey. We went ten months without hockey," Black said.
Regier said Monday no decisions have been made regarding the futures of star goalie Ryan Miller and forward Thomas Vanek.
"There's just so much that's undecided right now. It may involve both of them being, it may involve one of them being here, it may involve none of them being here. I can only tell you that obviously, they are upper-eschelon, top-level players and can certainly be part of a Stanley Cup team," Regier said.
Both players have one year remaining on their contracts with the team.
Season ticket holders coming to First Niagara Center next season will be paying more to watch their team. The Sabres announced last week prices are going up four percent.