Tapestry parents raise concerns about proposed building

Feb 17, 2016

A Tapestry Charter School parent has started an on-line petition against proposed plans to its K-through five program to a former Buffalo school building. WBFO's Focus on Education Reporter has an update on a story she first brought you last week.

Tapestry parents post on-line petition.
Credit Photo from Charge.org for petition signatures

"This wasn't the decision that I made when I choose to enroll my children in that charter school," said Brian Bray, Tapestry Charter School parent.  Bray has two young children, a kindergartner and second grader.  Both would be required to move to the new location next fall if the plan is approved. 

Bray tells WBFO News this proposed plan to move came as a 'surprise' to many parents.

"Especially at this late date, which, you know, gives parents little option to choose a different school for their child next year.

Outside Tapestry Charter School on Great Arrow.
Credit Photo from Tapestry Charter School website.

Tapestry leaders want to buy a former city school building on Olympic Avenue, expanding off of its current site on Great Arrow. 

At an informational meeting last week, parents raised concerns about air quality, given the location's proximity to the Kensington Expressway.

"As well as potential lead in the ground surrounding the school and having concerns about possible lead poisoning from children playing in the playground," replied Bray.  

WBFO News asked Bray how school leaders and the board responded to their concerns. 

"I think they were quite surprised by the reaction and they didn't really address many of the concerns parents brought up," explained Bray.  

Parents were aware the school was searching for an expansion site last January when it initially submitted a proposal to move Bennett High School in North Buffalo. However, the city school district changed plans to offer the space at the high school. 

The Tapestry Community Association will hold a meeting on February 22nd to address concerns. As of late Tuesday afternoon Bray's on-line petition had more than 180-signatures. He expects more than 200 before the board votes February 24th.

Bray tells WBFO if the building purchase is approved he would consider leaving the school. "I would have to talk to my daughters about and to see what they want to do," noted Bray.