The University at Buffalo student who was hospitalized following a suspected fraternity hazing incident last week has died.
Sebastian Serafin-Bazan of Port Chester, NY was a freshman at UB. He was rushed to Buffalo General Medical Center early last Friday morning after suffering a medical emergency at the Sigma Pi house on Custer Street near UB's South Campus.
Serafin-Bazan, 18, had been in critical condition. The Buffalo News reported he had been ordered to perform strenous physical exercises at the house and was recently treated for a respiratory ailment. The News reported he had no drugs or alcohol in his system, based on preliminary toxicology reports.
Following the incident, UB suspended all official fraternity and sorority activities. An internal review is underway. President Satish Tripathi issued a statement Wednesday saying he is "deeply saddened" by Serafin-Bazan's death.
"Our hearts go out to Sebastian’s family for the devastating heartbreak they are experiencing. We extend our sincerest condolences to the Serafin-Bazan family and to all of Sebastian’s friends here at UB and in his hometown of Port Chester, N.Y. We join them in mourning the tragic loss of a member of our UB family," Tripathi said.
Campus grief counselors are available to assist students seeking support at 210 Student Union on UB's North Campus.
Buffalo police are investigating the incident that led to Serafin-Bazan's death. No charges have been filed at this time.
Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown, speaking earlier in the day, said UB administrators made the right call by suspending campus Greek life organizations.
“I applaud the University of Buffalo for taking a very strong stand, not just focusing on one organization, but focusing on all of the organizations to send a very strong message that this behavior should not occur. That there is no place for hazing in our academic institutions or in our community.”
WBFO's Ryan Zunner contributed to this report.